Tech Writing Tips

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Reference Update Always Rings Twice

I spent a good bit of time revising a shared text file that several of my documents use as a text inset, saved the file, and closed it. Then I opened one of the documents that imports the shared file, and proceeded to update the references. After selecting Edit --> Update References, I chose all the options and clicked Update. The document updated – almost.

The problem was that not everything updated. Automatic figure numbers appeared as question marks. Several cross references to other sections weren't correct. And other minor inconsistencies were apparent.

I wasn't sure what to do next, so I simply tried updating the references again. Everything became correct. The figure numbers reappeared. The cross references were right. There were no other problems.

As near as I can tell, the first pass of updating references only does the preliminary changes. For example, it might update the conditional text in a cross-referenced section heading, but not the cross reference itself. It requires a second reference update to get everything straight.

I learned my lesson. When doing an Update Reference, always do it twice. At least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home